Cycle Breakers: Latin America
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU PARTNER WITH AGCI
When you become a Cycle Breaker, you become part of a global movement that is breaking the cycle for children and families around the world! Here’s what you can expect:
- A handmade bracelet from a child who has been impacted by your support
- Regular text updates
- An exclusive, inside look into AGCI’s work in the region of your choice
- Quarterly updates on lives you have changed around the world
- The knowledge that you are part of breaking the cycle—once and for all
How We’re Breaking The Cycle In Latin America
AGCI prevents children from entering institutions by strengthening families. We do this by:
Supporting families whose children have been victims of sexual, verbal, and physical abuse through counseling services for the entire family.
Identifying children through public school systems with undiagnosed learning and behavioral needs and providing the therapies they need to heal. We also educate parents on how to support their children.
AGCI provides elevated care for children living in institutions so they can reach their God-given potential and thrive.
We do this by working with institutions and training caregivers so that children can heal from trauma and break the cycle.
AGCI places children with their forever families through adoption programs.
- We ensure all families in our programs receive the trauma-informed training they need to be prepared to meet the needs of their children.
AGCI prepares youth aging out of the system, empowering them to break the cycle of trauma and create paths to independence.
- Children who previously would have been on the streets and at a high risk of being trafficked will now have an opportunity to study, live, and learn how to be an adult while pursuing a college degree or vocational training program.
AGCI transforms policy to change the system and break the cycle of trauma.
- We empower local leaders to address the systemic issues that cause children to languish in institutions.
Your support helps children like Callie and Lily!
Through the support of Cycle Breakers like you, 14-year-old Callie* and her little sister, 10-year-old Lily* have a new chance at life in Colombia! These sisters experienced unimaginable abuse and trauma. The unbearable trauma that they endured led Callie to believe that it would be better to end her own life than continue to experience the pain that she was in.
Tragically, this abuse went unnoticed for years because it was at the hands of their own parents. Thankfully, Callie and Lily had a family member, Aunt Gail*, who eventually discovered their abuse, brought them to live in her own home, and immediately sought out the help the girls needed to begin to heal.
Through AGCI’s support, the girls began receiving weekly therapy sessions and building a trusted connection with their psychologist, Cristina. After learning that they could trust Cristina and truly be themselves, they began to find their voices again. These once shy, terrified, uncertain girls began to see that they were worthy of love. They began to accept the love of their aunt and their friends. They started to believe that joy was possible for them again.
Through the support of Cycle Breakers, these girls have been given the most precious gift—the chance to experience true joy again. This work is so much more than access to therapy—it is lifesaving!
*Names changed to protect privacy