- 1 child is abandoned in Guatemala city every 4 days.
- There are 500,000 orphans in Guatemala.
- 50% of children under the age of 5 in Guatemala are chronically malnourished.
- 48% of children do not attend primary school in Guatemala.
- 69% of children do not attend secondary school in Guatemala.
AGCI’s Guatemala Sponsorship Program
All of the children in our Guatemala Education Sponsorship program reside in La Limonada—one of the poorest and most dangerous neighborhoods in Guatemala City. La Limonada is notorious for gang violence, poor access to education, running water, and electricity. Many families and children in La Limonada work as scavengers in the city dump in order to simply survive. This forces many children to drop out school at a young age and abandon their education to help support their family.
Your sponsorship will help ensure that a vulnerable child in Guatemala attends school, receives regular meals to fuel their studies, and remains within their family’s care! Additionally, a portion of your sponsorship helps give children living in institutions within the region access to the intervention programs they need for a brighter future.